Prompt: Tell us about something you’ve done that you would advise a friend never to do.
Did you know that you can indeed overdose on caffeine? Yes, yes you can. I discovered this in college. Junior year during finals week I was juggling an EMT class, plus multiple finals. In typical college student fashion, I’d put off writing a paper, so the night before it was due I sat down at my trusty Mac and commenced writing.
It was a paper on some obscure aspect of Victorian literature. I can’t recall for the life of me what it was supposed to be. I do recall words, lots of words, and a focus on page and word. It was like NaNoWriMo, only with major problems if I didn’t finish. To fuel the 15 page paper, I relied on a trusty combination of Pepsi and Mountain Dew. Two liters of Mountain Dew to be precise. When the buzz of the Dew passed sometime around 3am, then there was Viviran. Four of them. I was on a roll.
Somewhere along the way I finished, and flopped into bed. A few hours later, I woke up, jittery and anxious, laced with exhausted. I went to check on the paper. No paper on the hard drive. Somehow I’d managed to fail to save the full paper. In a panic, I slammed more Dew and cranked out more drivel. I still have no clue how I passed that class.
I went to class, dropped off the second paper the headed to an exam. I popped a Viviran in class to stay awake while taking the test. I managed to stay upright in class. From there it was off to EMT class.
At that point in time, I crashed, HARD. Jitters, shakes, and a need to vomit all crashed down on me. The slightly amusing part of this was the EMT class subject was drug withdrawl. The class instructor took great delight in pointing out my symptoms. I just sat through class and wallowed in my misery. I went home that night, dropped into bed and stayed there.
Moral of the story, excessive caffeine BAD. Don’t do that.